Religious trips always get you peace of mind and loads of prasad. Prasad in form of nariyal. This nariyal is used to cook something sweet(read only). On our recent tour to Goa via kolhapur, we visited Mahalaxmi temple and Mahalsa temple. As prasad, I got 4-5 nariyals. So nariyal barfi. When I started cooking, nariyal barfi was the first one to try, extremely easy and quick to make.
1. 3 scrapped nariyal or coconut/ 4 cups
2. Sugar: 2 cups
3. Butter: 1/2 cup
4. Cardamon: 2 tbsp
5. Saffron: 1/2 tbsp( Take 4 tbsp of milk and add saffron to it)
6. Milk: 2 cups
7. Khoya: 25 gms (optional)
1. Scrape the coconut, ensure that you don’t scrap to the extreme bottom as that might get some brownish color to your barf i
2. Take a pan. Add butter to it. Later add scraped coconut to it. Let it cook on medium flame till it looses its typical coconut smell.
3. Add milk(Pre-boiled and cooled down) and cook till it evaporates.
4.Add sugar and cook till all the water is evaporated and you see a uniform consistency
5. Keep stirring it.
6. Divide it in two parts.
7. Add cardamon powder to one part and saffron milk to other.
8. Cook both parts separately on simmer for about 5-7 mins.
9. Take a square plate or ice tray. Add a layer of saffron colored portion followed by cardamon.
10. Keep in refrigerator for an hour or two.
11. Later decorate it with saffron springs or sliced almonds..choice is yours.